The World’s Best Sugar Cookie Recipe
When I think of Christmas cookies, my first thought is usually sugar cookies. I love using Christmas cookie cutters and using royal icing to decorate them. I found a sugar cookie recipe online that was pretty good, but I always ended up tweaking it a bit. After a few years of practicing and tweaking it until I found exactly what I liked, this is the sugar cookie recipe that I came up with. Every time I make these people ask me for the recipe, so I figured I could post it here so that you all can try it too!
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Parchment or wax paper
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about two minutes.
2. Add in egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract and mix until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Make sure to spoon the flour into your measuring cup and level it off with a knife to ensure accurate measurements.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until completely combined.
5. Roll the dough out between two sheets of parchment or wax paper and place on a cookie sheet in the fridge. Chill at least 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Cut dough into shapes with cookie cutters and transfer onto cookie sheet. Bake for 8-12 minutes.
And that’s that! You can leave them the way they are, decorate them with frosting, or use my royal icing recipe to give them a crunchy and delicious vanilla icing flavor! I use this recipe for all holidays, but Christmas is definitely my favorite time to make them.
Let me know if you try out this sugar cookie recipe!